At Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we encourage our employees to have a true work/life balance. We genuinely believe you should have a personal life, not just a career. Here are just a few of the ways we can help a BWH career fit into your life.
Managing your childcare needs while balancing your career can be difficult. That's why BWH has developed several programs to make your time away from your children as easy as possible.
Longwood Medical Area Child Care Center
For employees whose family income is below $70,000, we provide subsidized tuition to the Longwood Medical Area Child Care Center on a sliding scale basis. Your little ones will be in good hands at this outstanding childcare center.
BWH Back-up Child Care Center
Child care emergencies don't need to be stressful thanks to the BWH Backup Child Care Center. The Backup Center provides emergency, back-up child care to BWH employees whose children are between the ages of 8 weeks and 12 years. Backup care supplements rather than replaces regular child care. Times when your family may be in need of back-up child care may include the following:
When your child's caregiver is ill or on vacation; when your child's child care center or school is closed; when you have to work extra hours; when there is a sudden termination in your child care arrangements; when you are searching for permanent child care arrangements. Classrooms are staffed by the Department of Early Education and Care certified teachers. Each child may use the BWH Backup Childcare Center for up to 5 consecutive days and/or 20 days per fiscal year. For information on fees and reservation process, please visit the BWH Backup Child Care Center website.
Vacation Club at the BWH Backup Child Care Center
The Vacation Club allows children 5-12 years old to get together for fun and educational activities during school vacations and four weeks out of the summer.
Parents-in-a-Pinch is a service provided to all benefits-eligible BWH employees. In-home back-up child care is available seven days a week. Child care providers are screened by Parents-in-a-Pinch for references, criminal background, and health and safety training. BWH employees may use this benefit up to 7 times per year. Detailed information on rates and reservation process.
Time at Work and Away
Wherever possible, we've left scheduling up to those who understand their schedules best — the departments and staff. Managers and employees working together have reduced the amount of on-call work in certain departments, meaning key units enjoy shift work only.
Employee PERKS Program
To further enhance your personal life, we offer substantial discounts on a variety of goods and services such as:
- Specialty TIX – Discounts for the Boston Red Sox, Celtics, the New England Aquarium, IMAX Theater, movies, concerts, events, and more.
- Entertainment in Boston – Enjoy special rates and discounts at entertainment hotspots like Alan James Disc Jockey, Boston Billiard Club, Jam Spot, and a wide range of restaurants.
- Financial Credit – You and your immediate family are eligible to join firms such as Merrill Lynch, Professional Advantage Financial Group, and Summit Mortgage.
- Travel – Employees can also enjoy significant savings on travel with Advantage Cruise & Travel LLC, Black Rose Fishing Charters, Community Boating Inc., White Swan Bed and Breakfast, Point Sebago Resort, and various other charter companies.
- Health and Beauty – A range of day and beauty spas offer BWH employees discounts on a variety of services.
- Everyday life – BWH employees can receive discounts on car rentals, auto maintenance, home decorating, home entertainment systems, mobile phone service, wholesale club memberships, wedding invitations, event planning, furniture, moving, and a whole lot more.
Family and Personal
Harvard Medical Office of Work & Family
Through our affiliation with Harvard University, BWH is able to offer our employees access to their remarkable Office of Work and Family programs. These programs offer free information and referral services in the following areas:
For your children:
- In-home childcare agencies
- Childcare centers and preschools
- Family childcare homes
- Summer camps
- After school programs
- Public and private schools
For your elderly relatives or other senior citizens:
- Medicare and medical information
- Home health services
- Visiting nurses
- Nursing home placement
- Community resources
- Support groups
This page was last modified on 4/8/2016