The Center for Perioperative Management and Medical Informatics, based in the Department of Anesthesiology, Perioperative and Pain Medicine, works to improve patient care and operating room efficiency, promote clinical research, and provide educational opportunities.
By coordinating a multidisciplinary effort, the Center can help:
• Increase efficiency in the perioperative setting
• Optimize quality of care while decreasing costs
• Improve patient safety
• Analyze short- and long-term patient outcomes measures
• Encourage clinical research
• Educate current and future generations of practitioners
The Center serves the entire hospital. We collaborate with hospital administration, clinicians from anesthesiology, surgery and other specialties, nurses, Information Systems administrators, biomedical engineers, pharmacists, clinical researchers and statisticians, electronic educational specialists, and various units of Harvard Medical School.
Current and Future Projects
• Maintain high quality, multidisciplinary technical support for Perioperative Information Management System (PIMS) to minimize disruption in OR efficiency
• Improve OR efficiency through monitoring of delays, determining staffing levels and ACTs, capturing of individual anesthetic practices
• Generate cost savings from better monitoring of supply and drug usage
• Increase hospital and professional billing
• Collect and report data for Pay-for-Performance, Department of Public Health, and Surgical Care Improvement Project
• Provide analysis support to the Center for Clinical Excellence and other hospital departments to better interpret operating room data from PIMS
• Facilitate continuous quality improvement and QA
• Generate data for clinical research projects, including outcomes
• Participate in the university-wide informatics fellowship training
• Design electronic educational resources for staff and trainees
• Collaborate and coordinate with the Partners Acute Care Documentation (ACD) project
• Collaborate with other Partners institutions and nationally, such as the Multicenter Perioperative Outcomes Group (MPOG) project
The Center for Perioperative Management and Medical Informatics is directed by Pankaj Sarin, MD, MS, and Richard Urman, MD, MBA.
This page was last modified on 2/24/2017