We are committed to excellence in everything we do at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) Heart & Vascular Center. This is evidenced by BWH consistently being ranked among the nation’s top hospitals for cardiology and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
Achieving excellence includes an uncompromising commitment to quality, compassion, and innovation. Along with our dedication to providing the highest quality medical care and outcomes, we have developed systems and services that emphasize healing in a comfortable, relaxed environment for both our patients and their families. We also are always working to improve heart and vascular diagnosis and treatment. Through pioneering research, we continue to develop advances that transform patient care.
Our Heart & Vascular Center team includes more than 225 physician specialists in cardiovascular medicine, cardiac surgery, vascular surgery, cardiovascular anesthesiology, and cardiovascular imaging, and 475 nurses who specialize in cardiovascular care. Working together under the clinical leadership of Drs. Mandeep Mehra and Prem Shekar, this vast resource of multidisciplinary expertise in this Center of Excellence ensures that we can take care of every patient’s heart and vascular needs.
This expertise and collaboration takes place at the Carl J. and Ruth Shapiro Cardiovascular Center, the most advanced facility of its kind in the region. The Shapiro Center offers patients a technologically advanced environment; seamless, coordinated cardiovascular care; and enhanced comfort and convenience.
Why Brigham and Women’s Hospital for Heart and Vascular Care?
- Ranked #7 in Cardiology and Heart Surgery by U.S. News & World Report.
- Over 50,000 patient visits annually, including 7,000+ inpatient discharges in 2014.
- 663 heart transplants performed from 1984 to 2014 – the most in New England.
- Press Ganey patient satisfaction rate of 93.5%, well above the national average.
- More than 100,000 participants in 281 active clinical trials in 2014.
- Over 1,800 team members, including 200+ physician specialists and 450+ nurses.
- Carl J. and Ruth Shapiro Cardiovascular Center with 16 state-of-the-art surgical suites and 136 private, inpatient rooms, designed for optimal patient- and family-centered care.
- 2,500 square feet dedicated to patient and family education.
- Training 150+ interns and residents and 300+ clinical and research fellows every year.
Heart and Vascular Appointments and Locations
- Go to our health library to learn more about heart disease.
- Visit The Shapiro Family Center, located on the second floor of the Shapiro Cardiovascular Center, includes educational resources, Internet access, and relaxing spaces.
- Visit the Kessler Health Education Library in the Bretholtz Center to access computers and knowledgeable staff.
- Access a complete directory of patient and family services.
This page was last modified on 9/28/2016