Welcome to the Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Program for Weight Management (PWM).
“Don’t Wait To Lose Weight”
At PWM, we are dedicated to helping people improve their health by achieving and maintaining a healthy weight. We are committed to doing this through compassion, respect, and the highest standards of medical care.
Our weight matters for our health.
More than two-thirds (69%) of Americans are affected by overweight and obesity– that’s approximately 155 million Americans. This is widely considered an epidemic, and one of the greatest public health challenges of our time.
Individuals with obesity are at increased risk for numerous chronic health conditions, including type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, liver disease, sleep disorders, joint disease, asthma, as well as numerous cancers. Obesity is a significant cause of preventable death.
Our weight matters for how we feel emotionally.
Obesity can cause a lot of suffering. Discrimination against and mistreatment of individuals with obesity is widespread. Weight affects our ability to get jobs, our quality of life, and our mental health, including the risk of having depression.
Obesity is a medical condition
Surprisingly, not until June of 2013 did the American Medical Association recognize obesity as a disease. Fortunately, our understanding of obesity has advanced dramatically as a result of research in this field. We now know, based on a lot of scientific studies, that obesity is not simply a person’s fault because of poor food choices or lack of exercise. Obesity is a complex disease condition resulting from an interaction of genetic, biologic, behavioral, social, economic and cultural factors. Research has also advanced our knowledge of the many health benefits of weight loss, and of the strategies that work best to help people lose weight.
Why Choose the Brigham and Women’s Hospital Program for Weight Management
PWM is an individualized, medically-supervised program for anyone interested in safe and effective weight loss.
- Our program is led by an experienced team of board-certified physicians and registered dietitians specializing in the treatment of weight loss. We focus on developing healthy habits that last a lifetime.
- We offer a range of weight loss approaches that are personalized and individually tailored to meet your goals and your medical needs.
- We offer both individual and group meetings on a weekly basis, to provide you with the support you need to be successful.
- We base our treatment approaches on the latest scientific evidence about what strategies work, and we focus not just on weight but on other weight-related medical issues as well.
- We offer a long term weight maintenance program recognizing that people need on going support to help keep the weight off.
- We treat every person with compassion and respect.
PWM is part of the Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Hypertension, Brigham and Women's Hospital, a teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School.
We invite you to learn more about our program through the information on this website.
To obtain additional information or schedule an initial consultation, you can call or email us: 617-732-8886 or email@example.com
This page was last modified on 11/21/2016