The Orthopaedic and Arthritis Center at Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) is a unique, collaborative, and multidisciplinary union of specialists that provide highly-personalized care for all patients with bone and joint conditions.
Under the leadership of James D. Kang, MD, Chairman of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, and Michael B. Brenner, MD, Chief of the Division of Rheumatology, Immunology, and Allergy, the Orthopaedic and Arthritis Center provides comprehensive care and individualized attention to patients with every type of bone and joint condition—from traumatic bone injury and joint deterioration to all forms of arthritis and autoimmune conditions such as lupus.
Our experts work in partnership with sub-specialists at BWH as needed and with the patient’s referring physician—a collaborative approach that ensures that needs of every patient are met as we diagnose and treat their condition.
Why the Orthopaedic and Arthritis Center?
- We are widely-recognized for our research – that has changed how bone and joint conditions are prevented and treated worldwide – and the innovative, advanced care that we provide.
- We are one Center that coordinates and draws on the expertise of the many different disciplines of our team members – including orthopaedic surgery, podiatry, rehabilitation, rheumatology, immunology, allergy and imaging.
- We have 19 programs that provide highly-specialized, targeted care.
- Our specialists are board-certified, fellowship-trained physicians who are Harvard Medical School faculty.
- Our Physicians have been named Boston’s Top Doctors by Boston Magazine, America’s Top Doctors by Castle Connolly and Best Doctors in America, among other distinctions.
- US News & World Report® continually names our programs among the best in the country.
- We are a top National Institutes of Health (NIH) funded research program to accelerate discovery and care for bone and joint conditions.
We have a long history of bone and joint care milestones that includes research that directly led to the FDA-approval of methotrexate for treatment of severe rheumatoid arthritis and also the opening of a first-of-its kind hospital devoted to arthritis and debilitating joint diseases.
Appointments and Locations
- Orthopaedic and Arthrtitis Center Team
- Contact and Locations
- Orthopaedic Surgery and Joint Disease A to Z
View videos about innovations in orthopaedic and arthritis care.
Read the latest in bone and joint disease health.
Visit the Kessler Health Education Library in the Bretholtz Center for Patients and Families to access computers and knowledgeable staff.
Access a complete directory of patient and family services.
This page was last modified on 9/26/2016