Learn more about our world-class Boston hand specialists at Brigham and Women's Hospital.View More Info »
Patients requiring a consultation with a Boston hand specialist will find comprehensive and leading edge care at the Hand and Upper Extremity Service at Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH). As part of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, the Hand and Upper Extremity Service provides evaluation and treatment for a broad spectrum of diseases and injuries of the hand, as well as medical conditions affecting the shoulder, arm, elbow and wrist.
Patients seeing a Boston hand surgeon at BWH will receive care delivered with the expertise, innovation and commitment you would expect from a program and hospital that is consistently ranked as one of America's best by U.S. News & World Report®.
Services performed by a BWH hand specialistFind A Doctor »
A Boston hand specialist at BWH can provide diagnosis and treatment for a range of medical conditions, including:
- Entrapment neuropathy, also known as repetitive stress injury. Using minimally invasive surgical techniques, a hand specialist at BWH may perform surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome and radial tunnel syndrome. With local anesthesia, carpal tunnel release may now be performed in less than 10 minutes.
- Arthritis. A BWH hand specialist will work in close collaboration with colleagues in the Division of Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy to provide a comprehensive approach to the treatment of arthritis in the hand, as well as in the upper extremity. Surgical options include tendon transfers and joint replacements.
- Post-traumatic reconstruction. A hand specialist at BWH may recommend treatment options that include joint replacements for traumatic arthritis, nerve reconstructions, tendon transfers, joint releases for contractures, or removal of heterotopic bone.
- Sports-related injuries. High school, college and adult amateur athletes may consult with a sports medicine physician or hand specialist for injuries related to a variety of sports.
- Performing arts-related injuries. In collaboration with the performing arts clinic at BWH, our hand specialists treat musicians from all over the world who are experiencing performance-related medical conditions and repetitive stress injuries.
- Rehabilitation. Patients may work with highly trained and certified physical therapists and occupational therapists to recover function and dexterity in the hand after surgery or injury.
Find a Boston hand specialist on the BWH website.
To find a Boston hand specialist at BWH, patients may use the Find a Doctor feature on the BWH website. This tool lets you search for doctors by name, specialty and location, as well as gender and languages spoken. You may narrow the search to find doctors who can, for example, perform rotator cuff surgery, cartilage repair and transplantation, surgery for Dupuytren's disease, and many other medical conditions, as well as physicians in other specialties such as a Boston foot doctor or a cardiologist in surrounding communities.
Call 1-800-294-9999 to request an appointment with a Boston hand specialist now. Or, learn more about Boston hand surgery and other services available through the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery.Learn more about our world-class Boston hand specialists at Brigham and Women's Hospital.
This page was last modified on 3/31/2017