The Society of Brigham Surgical Alumni
The Society of Brigham Surgical Alumni (SOBSA) is a member organization representing alumni of the Brigham and Women’s Hospital’s surgery residency and fellowship programs, and Department of Surgery faculty members. The Society’s goal is to promote collegiality and networking among surgeons and support the ongoing efforts of Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH).
Surgeons, who received all training in the Department of Surgery, as well as present surgical faculty at BWH, are eligible to become active members of the Society. Surgeons who trained in part, including fellows, in the Department of Surgery and past surgical faculty will be considered for membership by the membership committee on an individual basis.
If you are eligible to become a member of the Society, but have not received any information from the Society, please contact Diana Capone at email@example.com or call 617-732-8468.
Trainees from the following hospitals are welcome to join the Society:
- Affiliated Hospitals Center, Inc.
- Boston Hospital for Women
- Boston Lying-In Hospital
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Free Hospital for Women
- Peter Bent Brigham Hospital
- Robert Breck Brigham Hospital
SOBSA includes alumni from:
- Cardiac Surgery
- General/Gastrointestinal Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Surgical Oncology
- Thoracic Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
- Trauma Burn and Surgical Critical Care
- Vascular and Endovascular Surgery
- Center for Surgery and Public Health
Thanks to the loyalty of the BWH faculty and alumni, yearly dues enhance our residency program including publication of the annual newsletter which keeps our extended network abreast of news about alumni and the Department of Surgery. In addition, dues pay for events such as the annual cocktail party at the American College of Surgeons (ACS) which is an excellent opportunity for alumni to connect with current trainees. The recommended amount for dues is $100 per year.
Stay in touch
We value your membership and personal accomplishments so we hope you will keep in touch. News items, articles, announcements – we’ll try to make space for all submissions. If you are not receiving annual newsletters or invitations to the annual cocktail party at the American College of Surgeons then you are not in our database.
In order to stay informed with the latest news, please make sure we have your current mailing and email information by emailing Diana Capone at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We’d love to hear stories about your training back in the day
- Please send us any information about the passing of alumni members for our “In Memoriam” section; include information about the hospital and specialty for the deceased member
- News items, articles, announcements are welcome
- Please provide your name and telephone number so that we may contact you if we have any questions
History of SOBSA
SOBSA, created by Dr. Frederick P. Ross in 1964, began by holding autumn meetings at the time of the Clinical Congress of the American College of Surgeons. The first meeting in Chicago had a group of almost two hundred gathering together to reminisce about their days in surgical training and to consider its unique position in American surgery. In the 1965 Annual Report of the Hospital it was stated that this Society “...provides a cohesive force for men who have worked together over the years, and will provide a clearinghouse for employment opportunities for young men leaving our resident staff....represents real achievements for the staff, and anyone in charge of this Department, either now or in the future, is going to be grateful for the establishment of [this] unit and [its] assured growth over the years.”
Dr. John Brooks took the reins of the Society in the year 1990. Our current secretary is Dr. David Brooks. During his tenure, the membership has grown exponentially.
- Department of Surgery Grand Rounds – Members are most welcome to attend visiting faculty lectures held at BWH in the Bornstein Amphitheater on Wednesday mornings during the academic year from 8:15am. to 9:15am.
- Each year, SOBSA sponsors a cocktail reception at the Annual Meeting of the American College of Surgeons. This event promotes and maintains the camaraderie among current and past faculty and residents.
- October 23, 2017, 6:00 – 8:30 p.m.: Annual Joint Cocktail Reception in Conjunction with the American College of Surgeons Congress, Manchester Grand Hyatt, San Diego, California.
- June 16, 2017: Final Service Conference
- June 17, 2017: Surgery Resident Graduation Dinner/Dance, Boston Harbor Hotel
- May 10, 2013 Centennial Celebration Colloquium, Boston, MA
- Annual Joint Cocktail Receptions in conjunction with the American College of
Surgeons Clinical Congress:
- October 7, 2013: Washington Marriott Wardman Park, Washington, D.C.
- October 27, 2014: Hilton San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
- October 5, 2015: Chicago Hilton, Chicago, IL
- October 17, 2016: Marriot Marquis, Washington, D.C.
- June 15, 2016 Final Service Conference
- June 18, 2016 Surgery Resident Graduation Dinner/Dance, Boston Harbor Hotel
For past newsletters, please email Diana Capone at email@example.com.
We offer many attractive items with the Society of Brigham Surgical Alumni logo (It also was the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital logo). It’s a great way for you to demonstrate your pride and continuing ties to Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
If you wish to order an item, please make a copy of the order page indicating your selection and mail the order with a check to:
Brigham and Women’s Hospital
c/o Diana Capone
Department of Surgery
75 Francis Street, Room 220
Boston, MA 02115
This page was last modified on 1/17/2017