Staying on Track after Surgery
Bariatric surgery requires a lifelong commitment to a healthy lifestyle and that includes appointments with your bariatric team. Here is the appointment schedule for after surgery:
- 2-3 weeks: Meet with surgeon or physician assistant and dietitian (small group)
- 6 weeks: Meet with surgeon or physician assistant, psychologist (small group), and dietitian
- 3 months: Meet with surgeon and dietitian
- 6 months: Meet with surgeon, psychologist (small group), and dietitian
- 9 months: Meet with surgeon and dietitian
- 1 year: Meet with surgeon and dietitian
- After 1 year: Meet with surgeon and dietitian twice per year (every 6 months)
- After 2 years: Meet with dietitian twice per year (every 6 months), and meet with surgeon once per year (annually)
- Gastric band patients will be seen more often by both the surgeon and dietitian after surgery for band adjustments or fills. Band patients may be seen every 4 to 6 weeks after surgery.
You are welcome to schedule additional appointments as needed. Call your surgeon’s administrative assistant to schedule appointments.
The physician assistant (PA) phone line is open during office hours at 617-732-8882.
Diet and Nutrition Questions
Visit our nutrition resources page for more information about the postoperative diet. The dietitian phone line is open during office hours at 617-732-8884.
We encourage you to attend this monthly group meeting. The Bariatric Forum brings patients together to share experiences and provide support for each other. Sometimes we have discussion topics, such as plastic surgery, behavioral challenges, and holiday eating tips. Groups are free of charge and no registration is necessary. You can view the schedule here.
Postoperative Behavioral Support Groups
Our psychologist, Dr. Davidson, holds behavioral support groups. All patients will attend a group 6-8 weeks after surgery. He also holds groups for patients further out from surgery. You can view the schedule here. You must register for these groups in advance and you may have a co-pay depending on your insurance company. To register, call our New Patient Coordinator at 617-732-6960.
This page was last modified on 4/10/2017