The International Patient Center at Brigham and Women’s Hospital is a complete service for patients visiting the hospital from countries outside the United States. The International Patient Center staff – including physicians, administrators, interpreters, and international care liaisons – coordinate all aspects of each international patient’s visit to the hospital. From managing medical consultations and hospital admissions to travel and hotel arrangements, our staff is committed to making international patients and their families feel comfortable during their stay.
The clinical services provided by our Center include:
- Assistance with hospital admission;
- Coordination of all patient appointments with Brigham and Women’s Hospital specialists for consultation, diagnosis, and medical procedures;
- Facilitation of consultations at affiliated locations, including Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center
- Facilitation of second opinions and telemedicine consultations;
- Medical record translation assistance, including timely exchange of medical records to avoid duplication of diagnostic testing, and ensure priority scheduling
- Advance financial and billing arrangements, including detailed estimates and consolidation of invoices from various care providers;
- Appointments for family members who request routine and preventive medical care;
- Advice and assistance with home care services.
Our exceptional medical expertise is matched by our commitment to personalized care. From our patients’ initial inquiries through their follow-up medical care back home, our liaisons act as a single point of contact to assist patients throughout their stay.
Our liaisons can arrange for the following services:
- Interpretation services in 30 languages;
- Transportation, including airport pickup and ground or air ambulance;
- Hotel or long-term lodging arrangements for patients and their families;
- Personal escorts to appointments and specialized procedures;
- Private duty nurses or nurse assistants;
- Special meals honoring dietary requirements;
- Arrangements for special cultural or religious needs;
- VIP concierge services for shopping, dining, sightseeing, and special Boston-area events.
Our international care liaisons serve embassies, consulates, foreign governments, insurers, and individual patients around the world.
Coordinating Medical Care
Board-certified internists in the Center for International Medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital are dedicated to overseeing care for each international patient. These physicians also coordinate treatment and are available for questions or concerns after the patient’s discharge.
The Shapiro Tower Pavilion is an option for patients seeking first-class accommodations while they receive medical care at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. With spacious, private rooms and luxurious amenities, the Shapiro Pavilion provides the comfort and convenience found at most fine hotels – alongside the latest medical equipment to deliver advanced care.
For more information, please contact the International Patient Center:
This page was last modified on 2/3/2017