Brigham and Women's Health Care Center
850 Boylston Street (Rte 9 East) Suite #210
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
Phone: 617-732-9543 Fax: 617-732-9544 Site Director:
Sarah Towle Email: email@example.com
2016 - 2017 Vacation Club Updates: Effective as of the December 2016 Vacation Club, Club hours have been adjusted to reflect use patterns and Club hours will be 7:30am - 5:30pm.
Please note rate change: The hourly tuition rates at the BWH and MGH Backup Child Care Centers will increase effective October 2nd, 2016.
The hourly rate for backup child care as of 10/2/16 will be $8 per hour, per child. The new rate continues to be at or below the average rates reported by Boston and surrounding area employer-supported backup child care centers and/or services.
For families with three (3) or more children scheduled to attend the program at the same time, the maximum rate will be $20 per hour for the sibling grouping.
Information about the BWH Backup Child Care Center
The BWH Backup Child Care Center provides emergency backup child care for benefits-eligible employees of BWH, BWFH, DFCI and the patients* of these institutions. Care is provided for Infant, Toddler, Preschool and School-age children up through 12 years old.
Our mission is to provide a safe, nurturing, learning environment for the children in our care. Our curriculum has been designed to enhance the social, emotional, intellectual, and physical growth of each child.
* BWH, BWFH, and DFCI patient families may utilize the BWH Backup Center for their children when a family member is attending an appointment or receiving hospital services on location at BWH, BWFH, or DFCI.
Developmentally appropriate curricula are planned daily, as well as free choice exploration of materials. Self-expression is encouraged through music, art, and dramatic play experiences. The Center uses guidelines established by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) to determine developmental appropriateness for all levels of care provided.
- The Backup Center cannot care for children who are ill.
- The Backup Center maintains a nut-free environment.
The BWH Backup Child Care Center is managed by Partners Child Care Services, a department of Partners Human Resources. The Director of the Center reports to the Director of Child Care Services. The Director is responsible for daily administration of the center, including supervision of the staff and program. The Director and Education Coordinator oversee the Teachers to ensure consistency in programming.
The Center is licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care (EEC).
Located at 850 Boylston Street, Route 9 East, the BWH Backup Child Care Center is a state-of-the-art facility designed to meet the needs of Infant, Toddler, Preschool, and School-age children.
Families should enter from the parking lot; door is at the far right end of the 850 Boylston Street building.
The 1,180 square foot facility features a large dramatic play loft, sensory tables and fully equipped classrooms with many manipulatives and games for all ages. Children are given the opportunity to participate in many art experiences and to venture outside on walks or to the local playgrounds.
Our classrooms are staffed by Department of Early Education and Care (EEC) certified Teachers who have the knowledge and expertise to help families, and especially children, during their time at the Backup Center.
Hours are Monday through Friday, from 6:30am to 5:45pm.
The tuition rate for the Backup Center is $8 per hour. A two-hour minimum is required for all reservations.
Limits on Use
Each child may use the BWH Backup Child Care Center for up to 20 days per fiscal year.
The BWH Backup Center must adhere to Massachusetts State regulations regarding group sizes, composition for mixed age groupings and adult to child ratios; with this, the following are key points with regard to availability:
- Generally speaking, there is availability during the 45 weeks per year when Vacation Club Programming is not in session.
- During the 7 weeks per year when Vacation Club programming is in session (February, April, June, August, December), enrollment is limited to children 2 years and older and reservations for Vacation Club programming tend to fill quickly, sometimes resulting in waitlists.
- During high-use days (e.g. school holidays, snow days) availability may be limited if large numbers of families are seeking care on a high-use day.
- During the summer weeks between the end of June Vacation Club and the start of August Vacation Club, as well as the week prior to the Boston area school years’ commencing (typically the first week of September), School Age programming can and does fill quickly.
- During all weeks of the year, the number of spaces for Infants (children birth to 14 months) is limited to 3 when the group is a mixed Infant/Toddler grouping (children birth to 2 years 8 months).
The Backup Center does its very best to accommodate all requests for reservations yet it is important to know that there will sometimes be limitations to the days and times available for care; in these instances, the program will suggest additional resources for backup care, such as Care.com Backup Care (formerly known as Parents in a Pinch) or the Child Care Information and Referral services offered by Partners EAP.
Severe Weather and Emergency Procedures
The Partners Hospitals are always open and the Partners Child Care Centers will do everything possible to remain open, as well.
In the case of snow, severe weather conditions, or other 'public safety' emergencies, should there be public transportation restrictions or shut-downs, or restrictions or shut-downs to the Partners shuttle service, the Centers may be required to alter program operations.
To receive information regarding program operating status and information related to weather emergencies, please dial the main number 617.732.9543.
Employees may also call the BWH Employee Emergency Announcement Line at 800.343.7036 for BWH notifications and updates.
In the case of anticipated school closure due to snow or weather, reservations will be taken starting 24 hours in advance.
Parents can reserve care for Infant, Toddler, Preschool and School-age children up to 12 years of age. The Center also is open to the children and siblings of BWH, BWFH and DFCI patients; patients are eligible to use the program only while attending an appointment at one of these institutions.
Reservations for care can be made by calling the Center Monday through Friday from 6:30am to 5:45pm, or by leaving a voice message after hours: 617-732-9543.
Reservations may be made up to one month prior to the date care is needed as well as on the day that care is needed.
Important Reservation Notes:
- If a reservation is made and must be canceled, it must be done so by telephone no later than 7:00am of the day reserved so that waitlisted families can be contacted and served in a timely fashion.
- Reservations may not be canceled by email. Reservations that are not canceled by phone by 7:00am of day reserved, or that are canceled by email, will result in a cancellation fee of $40 per child.
The Backup Center's mission is to provide backup care for the maximum number of children possible for busy, working families; the reservation cancellation policy allows our Backup programs to be more efficient in responding to enrollment inquiries and care needs of our employee and patient families.
Click here to download the Registration Materials Packet. This packet includes Registration and Emergency Consent, Photo Consent, Topical Ointment Release and Employee Payroll Deduction Authorization Form.
Vacation Club at the BWH Backup Center is a time for school age children 5 to 12 years of age to come and enjoy field trips, entertainment and many creative activities and art activities.
Children need a break, as adults do, from the everyday hustle and bustle of typical routines. For school aged children, taking a break from traditional school-based learning is a great way to relax and enjoy a school vacation week or summer break, while still actively engaged in open-ended learning experiences.
We have created the opportunity for children to meet new children and also enjoy reconnecting with friends from previous Vacation Club weeks.
Vacation Club occurs seven weeks throughout the year:
- One week each in February, April and December, designed to coincide with the Boston and Brookline school vacation weeks
- Two weeks at the end of June, designed to coincide with the period of time when school is out and traditional summer camps have not yet started
- Two weeks at the end of August, designed to coincide with the period of time when traditional summer camps have ended and school has not yet started
The children who attend our Vacation Club programs tend not to want to leave when the day is done; they can’t wait until the next day to see what adventures they will be exploring or in what activities they will be engaging.
Registration for Vacation Club is required and you can do so four weeks in advance of the Club week. Vacation Club weeks tend to be very popular and fill up quickly; we strongly encourage families to plan ahead and take advantage of the 4-week-in-advance registration process.
Only benefits-eligible employees of BWH, BWFH and DFCI may utilize Vacation Club. All User e-mails will be sent out prior to the opening of registration alerting employees as to the opening date for registration and details for each Club.
- Reservations during Vacation Club weeks are outside of the 20 day per fiscal year limit on use;
- Reservations during Vacation Club weeks require pre-payment for all ages and fees are non-refundable;
- Scheduled activities are subject to change due to weather or unforeseen circumstance.
This page was last modified on 11/18/2016