The CSPH provides faculty and trainees with mentoring support and educational and networking opportunities and events to strengthen their investigative skills and individual research projects and to develop successful research careers.
These events include the following:
The CSPH holds weekly sessions for fellows and trainees to share their research- in-progress with CSPH faculty, medical students and other trainees across specialties for constructive feedback and suggestions for further areas of investigation.
"Life in the FAST Lane” (Future of Academic Surgery Training) Meetings
These biweekly meetings provide professional development for Arthur Tracy Cabot fellows in a small group setting with direct faculty mentorship. Drs. Schneider and Morris lead the meetings, with additional faculty attending as their schedules allow. Fellows in or beyond their second year of training will begin assuming a leadership role in their research projects, mentoring junior colleagues and driving the design, implementation, and dissemination of their work. As senior fellows negotiate new challenges, these meetings provide a forum to troubleshoot with mentors and peers. Meetings will follow the WIP and are meant to take the form of informal “coffee talk” discussions.
Suggested topics include:
- Career planning – key elements to building a successful research career as an academic surgeon (advice from faculty)
- Goal setting – fellows will share their individual goals for their overarching careers (including clinical and research goals), what they hope to accomplish this year in order to achieve those goals, and any barriers they anticipate
- Contract negotiation – insights from faculty and Q&A on how to negotiate for research
- Publication pitfalls and strategies – targeting the “right” journals, making sense of reviewer comments, coping with rejection
- Managing a “team” – setting expectations for collaborator contributions and authorship
- Staying engaged – how to maintain a research life during clinical work
The CSPH holds regular research meetings for faculty members and fellows to discuss and receive feedback on their research projects at any stage and develop collaborations with colleagues for future initiatives.
Other Recurring Departmental Meetings
Attendance is optional but strongly encouraged at the following departmental meetings:
- DOS Morbidity & Mortality Conferences
Weekly on Wednesdays, 7:00 - 8:00 AM
- DOS Grand Rounds
Weekly on Wednesdays, 8:15 - 9:15 AM
Select meeting schedules above are also included on our homepage events calendar.
This page was last modified on 9/18/2015