CREDENTIALING FOR NURSES WHO WILL BE SCHOOL OF NURSING CLINICAL INSTRUCTORS AND OTHER CATEGORIES OF PROFESSIONAL NURSES EMPLOYED BY OUTSIDE AGENCIES
Nursing Professionals in the following categories are onboarded and renewed through the Center for Nursing Excellence in partnership with the Office of Sponsored Staff and Volunteer Services
- School of Nursing Clinical Instructors and Faculty (both BWH and non-BWH staff)
- Other Professional Nurses who practice at BWH or require access to BWH patient records
To apply for Credentialing at BWH:
Complete all items of this application process if:
- This is the first time you are requesting privileges (OR)
- You will be working for a different school or agency other than the one you currently have privileges with (OR)
- You wish to reactive your privileges and it has been greater than one year since your file was archived
Complete a Renewal Application if:
- You are currently credentialed, it is within 6 weeks prior to your birthday, AND you will continue to work in the same capacity for the same agency
- You are requesting to reactivate your privileges as credentialed staff, AND will be employed in the same capacity and agency as your previous credentialing status, AND it is within one year of the archiving of your file
Complete a Visiting Faculty Application if:
- You will have no direct contact with our patients or their medical records and are coming to BWH for academic related purposes
- You will be at BWH for the purposes of assessing a practicum student’s progress and/or meeting with unit leadership regarding a student’s progress
After your initial approval, Credentialing renewal occurs annually on your birthday. Please be sure to submit the renewal application 6 weeks prior to expiration date.
School of Nursing Clinical Instructor Orientation:
The credentialing application process can take several weeks. Allow ample time to complete your application, obtain all signatures and schedule your application submission appointment. At the submission appointment, you must successfully pass a Med Math Assessment in order for your credentialing paperwork to be processed. Following those activities, you will be assigned the Clinical Instructor Orientation Course in HealthStream.
When you have completed the Clinical Instructor Orientation course, you must contact the unit based leadership to schedule a meeting with them prior to your arrival with your students. You may require a shift of orientation yourself to understand the practice routines on the unit. Once your Unit Based Orientation is completed you will be ready to bring your students to the unit. We strongly recommend writing an email for the unit leadership to forward to their staff nurses introducing yourself, the student group and course objectives. We kindly ask that you follow our process and do not go to the units on your own.