The Department of Neurosurgery at Brigham and Women's Hospital is committed to providing the highest quality of health care to patients and their families. Founded in 1913 by Dr. Harvey Cushing, the “Father of Neurosurgery,” our department has delivered exceptional, compassionate care to patients suffering from all types of neurological diseases for over 100 years.
Twenty nine clinical neurosurgeons in the Department of Neurosurgery deliver state-of-the-art treatment and care for our patients in a wide range of neurological disorders, including brain tumors, stroke, epilepsy/seizure, spinal disorders, hydrocephalus, and peripheral nerve problems.
Our vision for the Department is to serve internationally as the academic Department of choice for neurosurgical care with the most distinguished caliber of neurosurgeons and professional healthcare staff. We create the highest quality of care through our commitment to patients and their families, the innovation inherent in our academic programs, and the strength of partnerships with members of Mass General Brigham System, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard University, and our local community.
Our physicians, research faculty, clinical team and staff work together with a shared set of values always in mind. Our department is dedicated to:
- Quality Patient Care: Delivering quality patient care is at the center of everything we do.
- Teaching Excellence: We seek to uphold the highest standards in training health care professionals.
- Research Leadership: We continuously seek new ways to demonstrate our leadership role in research.
- Customer Focus: Our focus is to serve our customers.
- Respect for the Individual: We recognize and value the contributions of every individual.
- Teamwork: We work toward a unified approach to developing health care solutions.
- Embracing Change: Embracing change will help us to be successful.
- Operational Efficiency: We strive for efficient and effective delivery of services.
Neurosurgical Care Close to Home
In addition to providing care at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, our team of neurosurgeons deliver personalized care in your community with eight convenient locations, including BWH-MGH Health Care Center at Foxborough, Brigham and Women's Faulkner Hospital, Spaulding Outpatient Center Framingham, Brigham and Women's Neurosurgery of Mansfield, Brigham and Women’s Neurosurgery of Milford, Brigham and Women's Neurosurgery of Pembroke, Brigham and Women's Neurosurgery of South Weymouth, and Brigham and Women's Neurosurgery of Westwood.