Our Neonatal Transport Program, in collaboration with Boston MedFlight, provides rapid transfer of critically ill infants from community hospitals throughout New England to our Level III newborn intensive care units (NICU) at Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH).
Call Boston MedFlight at 800-233-8998 to request a transport.
Expert Neonatal Care
Through our collaborative program, we have more than 60 licensed NICU beds available to provide newborn patients with the highest level of neonatal intensive care. Each patient in our NICU is cared for by an attending neonatologist and team of specialists to deliver the most current and evidence based techniques, including:
- Advanced modes of ventilation including high-frequency oscillatory & jet ventilation
- Inhaled nitric oxide
- Total body cooling for neonatal encephalopathy
- Brain monitoring
- Expertise in the care of multiples (twins, triplets, quads)
- Advanced nutritional care
- Family support services
- Family-centered care
- Primary nursing
- Expertise in the care of the extremely preterm & extremely low birth weight infant
- Expertise in prevention and management of Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia
- Medical & surgical subspecialties affiliated with Boston Children's Hospital
- A Growth & Development Unit to provide comprehensive complex care
- Infant follow-up clinic
Medical and surgical consultation services also are available.
Specialized Neonatal Transportation
With a single call, our team works with the referring physician to facilitate the transfer of a baby to our NICU. Transportation to the NICU at BWH via ground ambulance or helicopter is arranged through Boston MedFlight, a critical care medical transport service whose team is specifically trained to transport newborn infants.
In addition, Boston MedFlight has unique logistic capabilities, including real-time tracking of weather, traffic, and NICU bed availability.
If needed, our NICU team will facilitate the transfer of the baby’s mother to BWH for continued inpatient OB/GYN care.
Steps for Transferring a Patient
- Call Boston MedFlight at (800) 233-8998 to request a consultation or a transfer to the NICU at BWH.
- Boston MedFlight will arrange a conference call with the referring physician and the BWH NICU medical team to discuss the medical management of the baby. Our physicians will provide advice and support over the phone and assist the referring physician.
- Boston MedFlight will provide the referring physician with an estimated time of arrival at the baby’s referring hospital and will facilitate communication between the referring hospital team and the NICU team at BWH throughout the transport process, as needed.
- Boston MedFlight will confirm admission of the baby to the BWH NICU.
- The NICU team at BWH will keep the referring physician informed of the baby’s condition throughout their stay in the NICU. The referring physician may phone the NICU team at BWH for additional updates. BWH NICU Main Number: 617-732-5420
- Once the baby is stable, the NICU team at BWH will arrange for transfer back to the baby’s referring hospital.
- Our NICU team will provide the referring physician with updates of the baby's progress in the NICU.
Boston MedFlight - (800) 233-8998
Brigham and Women’s Hospital - (617) 732-5420
Neonatal Transport Program Information Sheets