We are extremely grateful for the support that is so generously offered to the families and babies we care for in the Newborn Intensive Care Unit and Well Baby Nurseries at Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH). Volunteers and donors make our work possible and the lives of babies and their families better.
If you are interested in supporting our work, you can read about how to make a difference in our 2021 Annual Report. To make a gift, visit our donation page or call Susan Ramsey, assistant vice president of development, at 617-424-4223.
The NICU relies on the help of volunteers to ensure all functions in the departments are operating smoothly! NICU Volunteers are responsible for many tasks including, but not limiting to:
- Comforting, talking to, singing to, and reading to the babies
- Folding and stocking linens and supplies in patient rooms
- Organizing and tidying the Family Lounge, and book/clothes donations
- Managing properly sanitizing and organizing donations
- Assisting nursing staff with administrative duties
Please note: As this is a much sought-after volunteer placement, there is currently a waitlist of about one year to volunteer in the NICU. All interested candidates must attend a 1:1 interview with the BWH volunteer program and training coordinator, and be onboarded through the general volunteer process if they are offered the placement.
If you are interested in volunteering in the NICU, you may contact Kelsey Craig, the volunteer program and training coordinator, to set up an interview: email@example.com.
Donations support many aspects of newborn care, including purchase of specific supplies and equipment, support for parent activities or special needs, some newer clinical programs, and research.
Donations of new baby supplies or equipment: Donors have contributed many types of material goods, including new hospital furniture, car seats, supplies for parent events, and knitted booties or blankets for babies.
Monetary donations: Donations in any amount are greatly appreciated. Donations can be directed to our department or to a specific fund or researcher. Three funds currently support the work of caring for babies and their families. These include:
- The Friends of the NICU Fund: This fund provides support for parent needs, selected needed NICU equipment or furnishings, and supplies for parent activities. The Friends of the NICU Fund also makes the NICU Parent Liaison program possible.
- The Stork Fund: This fund provides support to a variety of projects in maternal and newborn care, including new clinical initiatives (such as the donor breast milk program), needed equipment (such as a special monitor to analyze newborn respiratory patterns), and pilot/early research projects, especially by junior investigators. There is an annual competitive application process and awards are judged by a panel of staff and parent representatives.
- The Newborn Research Fund:This fund supports researchers in the Department of Pediatrics who are beginning new studies or who require additional funding to continue their work. If you wish to support our research, you may do it by contributing to this fund or by choosing one or more investigators whom you would like to support.
Many families ask how they can engage their family or community in giving. Some ideas include:
- Start a Fundraiser: Passionate individuals, families, and companies who host events and organize fundraisers that raise vital funds for patient care and research at Brigham & Women’s Hospital are an integral part of our community! From golf tournaments to spin classes and dinner parties to car washes, there are many fun and easy ways to get involved and give back. Use your creativity and passion to raise funds that can be directed to any area within pediatrics or beyond. Our team stands ready to talk through your ideas, share best practices and advice, and help set you up for a successful fundraiser. For more information or to get started, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-424-4318.
- BWH Parties With Purpose: Are you getting ready to celebrate a child’s birthday? The BWH Parties with Purpose program is a meaningful and fun way to honor your child’s special day while experiencing the joy of giving back. By organizing a party with purpose, you will give your child the greatest gift of all—the reward of helping others.
- Let’s get this party started! Here’s how:
- Visit our website at www.bwhevents.org/party for FAQs and other information
- Let our team know about your upcoming birthday party by contacting us at email@example.com or 617-424-4318
- Wait for your BWH birthday party box in the mail
- Celebrate your party with purpose!
If you would like make a monetary donation to the Department of Pediatrics or to a specific fund or researcher, please visit our donation page.
Major donations, such as contributions toward construction and/or naming opportunities, are handled through the Brigham and Women’s Hospital Development Office.