Channing Street Home for Sick and Destitute Women is founded.
The Channing Home served as a treatment center for tuberculosis patients from 1857 until 1958.
Channing Laboratory is formed at Boston City Hospital.
Two areas of primary research interest were infectious disease and chronic disease epidemiology. The Channing Laboratory’s first Director was Dr. Edward H. Kass.
Channing Laboratory becomes part of Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
The Channing Laboratory moved to 180 Longwood Avenue in the Longwood Medical Area, becoming a research division in the Department of Medicine at Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
Dr. Kass Retires and names co-directors, Drs. Dennis Kasper and Frank Speizer.
Dr. Kasper was the leader of infectious disease research, and Dr. Speizer was the leader of research in chronic disease epidemiology.
Channing Laboratory moves to the current 181 Longwood Avenue location.
Channing Laboratory becomes Channing Division of Network Medicine.
The Chronic Disease Epidemiology Unit (led by Drs. Meir Stampfer and Francine Grodstein) and the Systems Genetics and Genomics Unit (led by Drs. Edwin Silverman and Scott Weiss and formerly called the Respiratory, Genetic, and Environmental Epidemiology Unit), along with a newly formed Systems Pathobiology Unit, become the Channing Division of Network Medicine, under the leadership of Dr. Edwin Silverman. The Infectious Disease researchers in the Channing Laboratory join the Infectious Diseases Division of Brigham and Women’s Hospital.