Learn more about our world-class Boston hand surgery options at Brigham and Women's Hospital.View More Info »
For patients requiring hand surgery in Boston, the Hand and Upper Extremity Service at Brigham and Women's Hospital (BWH) provides access to a Boston hand specialist and world-class surgeons offering comprehensive care for diseases and injuries to the hand, shoulder, arm, elbow, and wrist.
Within the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, the Hand and Upper Extremity Service has particular expertise in hand surgery and other procedures to treat traumatic disorders, arthritis, Dupuytren's Disease, entrapment neuropathies, and sports injuries.
Hand surgery procedures available through BWH in BostonFind A Doctor »
For patients in or near Boston, hand surgery specialists at BWH provide a wide range of treatment for conditions and diseases that include fractures, ligament disruptions, tumors, and tendonitis. A Boston hand surgeon at BWH may provide treatment for:
- Traumatic disorders. Post-traumatic reconstruction includes joint replacements for traumatic arthritis, removal of heterotopic bone, tendon transfers, joint releases for contractures, and reconstruction of nerves in the hand and upper extremity.
- Arthritis. Our Boston hand surgery specialists work closely with colleagues in the Division of Rheumatology, Immunology and Allergy to treat arthritis in the hand and upper extremity. Our comprehensive approach to arthritis may include hand surgery to replace joints or transfer tendons.
- Repetitive stress injury, or entrapment neuropathy. For our patients in Boston, hand surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome, cubital tunnel syndrome and radial tunnel syndrome is accomplished with minimally invasive surgical techniques that promote quick recovery. Carpal tunnel release, a type of carpal tunnel surgery, can even be performed in less than 10 minutes with local anesthesia.
- Sports-related injuries. As medical consultants to multiple Boston professional sports teams and two major college teams, hand surgery specialists at BWH also treat sports injuries of the hand in athletes at the high school level through college, as well as injuries experience by the adult weekend warrior.
- Rehabilitation. Our highly trained certified occupational and physical therapists provide rehabilitation services designed to restore use of the hand after surgery or injury.
- Performing arts-related injuries. In collaboration with the Department of Neurology's performing arts clinic in Boston, hand surgery specialists at BWH work with musicians from all over the world who have been diagnosed with entrapment neuropathy and other performance-related conditions and injuries.
Find a Boston hand surgery specialist
If you are new patient, please call 1-800-294-9999, where you may speak with a trained coordinator who can connect you with the best doctor for your needs. This service is available Monday through Friday, 8AM to 5PM ET. You may also contact us using this online form.
Learn more now about Boston hand surgery, or use the Find a Doctor feature on our website to find a Boston knee surgeon for knee replacement surgery, a surgeon who can treat shoulder impingement, and other physicians who treat conditions of the hand and upper extremity.Learn more about our world-class Boston hand surgery options at Brigham and Women's Hospital.
This page was last modified on 3/29/2017