The Pediatric Newborn Medicine Summer Student Research Program provides undergraduate and medical students with seven weeks of intensive and fulfilling research and clinical experiences. Students will receive hands-on engagement in innovative research and practice methods with direct access to Brigham and Women's Hospital's state-of-the-art medical facilities. Our dedicated team of Neonatologists, Pediatricians, Researchers, and NICU Specialists offer one-on-one mentorship to students in a variety of topics within the field of Perinatal and Neonatal Medicine. Students will be appropriately matched to mentors based on their research interests and experience if any to ensure a rewarding and professionally stimulating experience. Space is limited therefore applicants are encouraged to apply early.
Sailaja Ghanta, MD, Attending Neonatologist, Course Director
Brian Monson, PhD, Research Scientist, Associate Course Director
Saima Aftab, MD, Director of Education, Attending Neonatologists, Course Advisor
For general inquiries, please contact Tangela Kindell, Summer Student Research Program Coordinator
Important Dates and Deadlines
Applications Open: March 3, 2017
Applications Close: April 1, 2017
Decisions Announced: May 1, 2017
Program Dates: May 29, 2017 - July 18, 2017
The Pediatric Newborn Medicine Summer Student Research Program aims to admit highly motivated students with an interest and background in Healthcare, Academic Medicine, and related fields. All students must meet the following requirements:
- Undergraduate college student, graduate student, or medical student (as of Fall 2017).
- Proven interest in Healthcare, Academic Medicine, and related fields.
- Demonstrate aptitude in biology, mathematics, and physical sciences.
How to Apply
- Complete and submit an online application form.
- Applications will be accepted from March 1, 2017 through April 1, 2017. All required Application Materials must be received by our Program Coordinator by April 1, 2017 at 5PM EST.
- Submit supporting Application Materials by the application deadline. Additional requirements include:
- A personal statement (one page maximum)
- Unofficial university or medical school transcript
- 1-2 references (name, e-mail, telephone number, and relationship to applicant)
All Applications and supporting Application Materials are accepted through the methods listed below.
- Mail: Brigham and Women's Hospital, Pediatric Newborn Medicine, 75 Francis Street, CWN 418, Boston, MA. 02115
- E-Mail: Tangela Kindell, Summer Student Research Program Coordinator
This page was last modified on 3/10/2017