The BWH Michele and Howard Kessler Health Education Library was awarded a two-year Serving People with Disabilities grant from the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners. The grant was awarded with funds provided under the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA). The library provides technologies and resources in many alternative formats to address a variety of disabilities. The Kessler Library Intranet site is compliant with Section 508 §1194.22 of the Rehabilitation Act.
The Kessler Library provides many resources including books, newsletters, Books on Tape, and Braille books and newsletters
Equipment and Services
- Book reaching device
- Page turning device
- Walker basket for carrying library materials
- Hands-free device for computer use, telephone, and page turning
- Screen readers for online and print materials
- Magnifiers for print materials
- TTY phone (617) 525-7337
- Internet relay services
- Books By Mail Program - People with disabilities can request library materials via mail. To enroll print the PDF application and return to the library.
- Newsline - a service for people with visual impairments to listen to newspapers and magazines over the telephone.
- Training on resources, services and equipment: For information, contact us at KesslerLibrary@partners.org.
- New England INDEX (Information on Disabilities Exchange) Information on disability programs, services and resources in Massachusetts.
- Perkins School for the Blind - provides a Talking Book & Braille library for people with visual disabilities
- Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital Patient Family Resource Center - offers a library collection, an assistive technology center and a community information network for individuals with disabilities
This page was last modified on 12/16/2015