Roberta and Steven R. Weiner Center for Preoperative Evaluation
If you are having surgery or a procedure, you are likely to have a number of tests and visits. You will be scheduled for a visit to the Roberta and Stephen R. Weiner Center for Preoperative Evaluation or a preoperative phone assessment, as instructed by your doctor.
The Weiner Center is located near the 45 Francis Street entrance across from Ambulatory Services, and the Center hours are:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 7 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. (the last scheduled appointment time is 3:45 p.m.)
Your doctor's office will let you know:
- The date and time of your preoperative appointment
- The date and time of your surgery or procedure
- Other instructions you will need for your surgery
- Will last one to three hours based on waiting time and specific examinations required
- Will include a physical examination, if you have not had one
The Center provides:
- Information and instruction from doctors, nurses, and other health care professionals
- Blood tests, X-rays, urine testing and EKGs
- Preoperative history-taking and physical examination
- Consultation about your anesthesia choices
- Please be sure to bring with you a list of medications you are currently taking.
At your appointment, you will meet with a nurse practitioner. If there is any further testing that you need before your surgery, the nurse practitioner will coordinate with your surgical care team in order to complete those tests before your surgery date.
Please note, that you will not be meeting with an anesthesiologist at your pre-op appointment. At the end of your visit, the nurse practitioner will consult and coordinate with the anesthesiologist on staff to make sure that you're ready for surgery and that there are no outstanding issues.
If you are having cardiac surgery or vascular surgery, or some types of procedures, your pre-op appointment will be at the Watkins Clinic in the Shapiro Center. There you will meet with a nurse practitioner from the Weiner Center, and you can expect your pre-op appointment to last about 90 minutes.
For more information, watch this video on the preoperative evaluation process.
Preoperative Phone Assessment
When medically appropriate, the preoperative visit to the hospital is replaced by a phone assessment. If your physician determines that you meet the guidelines, a registered preoperative nurse will call you before your scheduled procedure date. If you have any questions regarding a phone assessment, please call (617) 525-7024.
This page was last modified on 1/14/2016