Mission, Committees, Goals, Progress and Future Direction
Our mission is to support BWH researchers across the academic continuum, by providing resources to support career and professional development, by encouraging professional responsibility, enhancing the training experience and fostering effective mentoring.
Read about the Postdoc Leadership Council (PLC), the Research Advisory Committee (RAC) and the BRI's Research Oversight Committee (ROC).
Community building across the BWH and HMS affiliates
Standardized benefits package and pay scale – create transparency
Advocacy and resource center for the postdoctoral community
Orientation – to complement existing orientations
Institutionally defined training period and guidelines for extension
Reviews of training progress – performance evaluations, annual career conferences
Improved skills and competencies – i.e. mentoring
Diversity Initiatives: Outreach, Retention, Recruitment
Mechanism for problem resolution
Career Development workshops/seminars
ORC Progress and Accomplishments 2006-2009:
Career Development & Support:
Outreach, Mentorship & Networking:
- Developed and implemented entrance, annual and exit surveys for postdocs.
- Met with all new postdocs at BWH weekly orientations, and developed new postdoc welcome packet.
- Established Peer Mentor Program and awarded a Peer Mentor Award to a senior postdoc with highest level of participation.
- Expanded network of BWH postdocs involved in ORC committees, events and activities.
- Distributed "Tools from ORC" email to PIs of newly hired postdocs, and developed webpages for PIs.
- Participated in department-sponsored networking and career development events for research/clinical fellows.
- Held welcome receptions for new postdocs, and annual postdoc summer BBQs.
Policy & Advocacy:
- Established Postdoc Leadership Council (PLC) who are actively involved in shaping postdoc activities and providing feedback on postdoc needs to the ORC.
- Established Research Advisory Committee (RAC) to direct and oversee ORC activities.
- Announced first draft of Postdoc Policy, to be implemented in 2010, specific to appointments, definitions, hiring, salary and benefits, expectation of PI and Postdoc, annual review, mentor and mentee responsibilities, terms limits and extensions, etc.
- Secured postdoctoral fellow representation on the BWH Research Oversight Committee.
- Instituted Postdoc Fellows’ benefits page on BWH Intranet, “Pike Notes”.
- Established joint HR and Research Committee to facilitate improvements and processes for the research community including; job postings, job code definitions, hiring workflow, and compliance functions.
- Established clarity in postdoctoral fellow eligibility for BWH tuition reimbursement benefit.
- Advocated for postdoc community, including continuation of free access to M2 shuttle for Harvard-affiliate postdoctoral fellows.
Communication & Promotion:
- Adopted use of BWH event calendar and flat screen TVs to publish, promote and facilitate event registration.
- Developed vibrant ORC presence on BRI Intranet and BWH internet.
- Developed the ORC Spotlight, a Weekly e-Newsletter to communicate ORC programs, events and information relevant to postdoctoral fellows, as part of the Research Connection email series.
- Created ORC identity and brochures in concert with CFDD, and member offices; OWC and OMC.
- Increased hospital-wide awareness, understanding and support for postdoctoral fellow population.
Collaboration & Community:
- Established group for ORC Networking and Alumni on Linkedin.
- Coordinated two annual postdoc events with the Partners International Office.
- Formed Postdoc Office Consortium (pDOC) with HMS, HSPH and Harvard-Affiliated Postdoc Offices (BIDMC, BWH, Children’s, DFCI, Joslin Diabetes Center, MGH)
- Collaborated with pDOC on development and delivery of programs and seminars of professional interest.
- Attended 2007 National Postdoctoral Association (NPA) Meeting and presented poster,“The Synergistic Model: An Office for Postdoctoral Careers within a Center for Faculty Development & Diversity”.
- Annually attended NPA meetings, and served on three national subcommittees (Meeting Site Selection, Distinguished Service Award, and Postdoc Travel Awards)
- pDOC awarded co-sponsorship of 2008 National Postdoctoral Association Meeting held in Boston at the Conference Center at HMS.
- Communicated HMS/HSDM Postdoc Association events including; Postdoc Pub Nights and monthly HMS PDO Movie Nights.
ORC Future Direction 2009-2010:
Finalize, gain approval for, and implement Postdoc Policy.
Analyze data collected via postdoc entrance, annual and exit surveys and develop responses to issued raised.
Foster and support a culture of mentoring.
Expand departmental outreach activities.