Our lung transplant program has a longstanding commitment to excellence in clinical care, research, innovation, and teaching. In the last five years, our program’s one-year and long-term outcomes have consistently met or exceeded Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) benchmarks – despite our liberalization of candidate acceptance criteria and the implementation of the lung allocation scoring system.
In addition to the Quality Assurance and Process Improvement initiatives developed program-wide by the BWH Transplant Administration, the Lung Transplant Program has pursued program-specific initiatives, including:
- Enhanced communication with referring providers.
- Clinic redesign in response to patient and provider feedback.
- Early patient and provider feedback after referral.
- Aggressive management of the right heart in lung transplant candidates, in collaboration with the Pulmonary Vascular Disease Program.
- Routine review and enhancement of established management guidelines.
We have developed a handbook for providers involved in the management of lung transplant recipients that outlines our program’s protocols in detail.
To refer a patient to the BWH Lung Transplant Program contact Tahira Langston at (617) 525-7614.