The Division of General and Gastrointestinal Surgery at Brigham and Women’s Hospital has a large and highly experienced group of surgeons, many with focused training in subspecialty areas and all dedicated to improving the lives of our patients through innovative, personalized and effective surgical treatment.
Our board-certified general and gastrointestinal surgeons offer advanced surgical care for patients with conditions and cancers affecting the appendix, colon and rectum, esophagus, intestines, liver and gallbladder, pancreas, spleen, stomach, thyroid and adrenal glands. We are experts at hernia repair. Our nationally accredited Center for Weight Management and Wellness helps weight loss patients lead healthier lives.
Surgeons at the Brigham tailor approaches to each patient, offering minimally invasive surgery options, which result in smaller incisions, less pain, shorter hospital stays and improved outcomes. Patient safety is a top priority: Our division follows the Surgical Safety Checklist, developed by the Brigham's own Atul Gawande, MD, MPH, currently used in operating rooms worldwide.
In addition to patient care, our surgeons are skilled researchers who study methods to prevent, treat and eliminate disease. As the surgical team for the Gastrointestinal Cancer Treatment Center of Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center, our surgeons work hand-in-hand with cancer experts to deliver the world’s finest cancer care.
We partner with specialists within the Brigham and with referring physicians to ensure coordinated care for all conditions. Our surgeons and support staff communicate with patients and families every step of the way—from diagnosis, to treatment, and through recovery.
Why Brigham and Women’s Hospital for General and Gastrointestinal Surgery?
- Our surgeons have advanced training and clinical experience in general surgery, as well as specialty areas: colorectal, endocrine, esophageal, gastric, hernia, liver and gallbladder, pancreas and bariatric.
- All of our board-certified general and gastrointestinal surgeons serve on the faculty of Harvard Medical School, and many hold leadership positions in various medical societies.
- Our surgeons are active scientific researchers, committed to finding novel and better ways of preventing, diagnosing and treating gastrointestinal disease.
- We train the next generation of surgical leaders through our Surgical Residency and Fellowship Programs.
- As the gastrointestinal surgeons of the Gastrointestinal Cancer Center at Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center, we are dedicated to increasing survival and improving quality of life for cancer patients. We specialize in colorectal cancers; liver; gallbladder; bile duct and pancreas cancers; and cancers of the esophagus and stomach.
- The Thyroid Center integrates the skills of endocrinologists, endocrine surgeons, cytopathologists, ultrasonographers, medical oncologists and other specialists to improve outcomes for patients with thyroid diseases, including thyroid cancer.
- We perform complex, leading-edge diagnostic and surgical procedures using minimally invasive laparoscopic approaches, advancing research in our Advanced Multimodality Image-Guided Operating (AMIGO) suite.
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital surgeons are respected leaders of professional medical societies, published authors, pioneering researchers, surgical humanitarians and valued teachers.
- Our surgeons are experts in the newest, least invasive surgical techniques, including transanal endoscopic microsurgery for rectal tumors, Whipple procedure pancreatoduodenectomy to treat pancreatic cancer and cortical sparing adrenalectomy for adrenal tumors.
- Our surgeons hone advanced minimally invasive surgery skills in the STRATUS Center for Medical Simulation, a computer-based simulation center equipped with the da Vinci Surgical System, the only full-size robotic surgery simulation console in Massachusetts.
- The Center for Weight Management and Wellness, a nationally accredited bariatric surgery center, performs individualized weight loss surgical procedures with support from dietary, pharmacy, behavioral and medical specialists to help patients lose weight and improve overall health.
- U.S. News & World Report and Doximity has listed Brigham and Women’s Hospital among the top surgical residency programs in the United States.
- Boston Magazine has ranked our general and gastrointestinal surgeons among Boston’s top doctors.
- The Center for Surgery and Public Health at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, a program of Harvard Medical School and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, advances surgical care by studying effectiveness, quality, equity and value.
- Our exceptional perioperative nurses offer attentive and compassionate nursing care, along with experience in preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative surgery.
Appointments and Locations
Our General and Gastrointestinal Surgery Team
Request General and Gastrointestinal Surgery Appointment
General and Gastrointestinal Surgery Locations