The Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Hypertension at Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) provides comprehensive diagnostic, treatment and educational services for adult patients with a broad spectrum of endocrine and metabolic disorders. Made up of hormone-producing glands that affect processes throughout the body, the endocrine system affects metabolism, mood, sexual function, reproduction and many other bodily functions. When these glands function improperly, patients develop a variety of conditions and diseases.
Under the leadership of Ursula B. Kaiser, MD, our specialized team of endocrinologists evaluate and manage the full range of endocrine and metabolic disorders, from adrenal and thyroid disorders and cancer to osteoporosis, polycystic ovary syndrome, diabetes, hypertension, obesity and more. In addition to caring for our patients, our physicians are also endocrine researchers, constantly seeking greater understanding of and therapies for endocrine diseases. Our physicians teach and train future endocrinologists through the BWH Endocrinology Fellowship Program.
Why Brigham and Women’s Hospital for Endocrinology, Diabetes and Hypertension?
- Board-certified endocrinologists work closely with referring primary care physicians as well as multiple subspecialty services.
- BWH Endocrinology Fellowship Program offers internationally-renowned training for internal medicine physicians.
- Center for Adrenal Disorders, a clinical care and research initiative between Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston Children’s Hospital and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, offers advanced care for patients with adrenal conditions.
- Center for Endocrine Genetics, a comprehensive clinical care center that provides a patient-centered approach to the diagnostic evaluation and clinical management of patients with endocrine disorders that have a known or suspected genetic etiology
- Diabetes Management Program provides inpatient consultative care, outpatient medical management and comprehensive diabetes self-management education.
- Diabetes in Pregnancy Program offers multi-disciplinary care for women with diabetes before, during and after pregnancy.
- Hypertension Clinic provides outpatient evaluation, treatment and monitoring for men and women with high blood pressure.
- Pituitary and Neuroendocrine Center diagnoses and treats the full spectrum of pituitary and neuroendocrine disorders, including acromegaly and tumors.
- Program for Weight Management, led by an experienced team of physicians and registered dietitians specializing in the treatment of weight loss.
- Skeletal Health, Osteoporosis Center & Bone Density Unit provides testing and clinical care for osteoporosis, metabolic bone disease, and disorders in skeletal and calcium homeostasis.
- Thyroid Nodule Clinic provides testing for suspicious nodules. Thyroid Tumor Clinic offers pre-operative counseling for malignant tumors.
- Center for Oncoendocrinology, in collaboration with Dana-Farber Brigham Cancer Center, offers specialized care for cancer patients who have endocrine diagnoses.
- International Registry for Glucocorticoid-Remediable Aldosteronism, a patient database for autosomal dominant disease that causes hypertension, hypokalemia, decreased plasma renin activity and increased aldosterone levels.
- Patient education focusing on lifestyle choices including diet and exercise as well as medication and monitoring.